Tuesday, November 12, 2013

And just like that...

I have a 5 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a 6 month old. Hang on, WHAT? When did that happen? Sometimes I feel a little stunned when I look at the stats.

Sweet, wonderful Ava Rose was born at the end of May. There is no doubt that this little person simply had to be in our family. My little peanut pie was born peacefully at home in the water, just as I had hoped. The magic of a home birth has yet to wear off, as I still marvel at the fact that she sleeps, nurses, plays, snuggles, etc., on the very same spot she was born. Like my other two births, as soon as contractions started I knew I was having a baby that day. And as expected, Ava came barreling through quite a bit faster than the other two. A drug-free, mother-guided birth is profound in many ways, one of which is being very connected with everything that is happening and instinctively reacting as your body needs to. I felt that very strongly with Sofia and Nico. This was a bit different though, because all the same physical changes had to happen (obviously) to birth Ava, but they were all condensed into a shorter period of time. Of all three births, this was the only one where I actually said the words, "I'm scared." I wasn't worried for my health, or Ava's, but it was all happening so fast I simply didn't have time to figure out how best to cope with the pain and Ava's progress. Birth team to the rescue! My amazing team of three midwives and my dear friend Crystal all made it to the house just as I moved into hard labor. The encouragement and support of powerful women who had all been in my shoes kept me grounded and focused, and reminded me that yes, I could do this (as if I had a choice). With candles burning, I sank into the welcome warmth of the birthing tub and welcomed little Ava into the world. As much as I'd like to avoid cliches, this one is unavoidable. It was absolute deep, true love at first sight. There is simply no other way to put it. Once born, it was clear that Ava was ready to be in our world. Her plump little body was ready to go, and once she started nursing she only took a few short breaks over the next 6-7 hours. Nico and Sofia welcomed their little sister with peaceful fascination and so much love. Sofia fed me apple slices as Ava and I cocooned ourselves in bed. Dad cut the cord just as he did with his other children, and Ava weighed in at a perfect 8 pounds, 6 ounces.

And now, that same little peanut tips the scales at somewhere around 16-17 pounds, is rolling over, grabbing everything, and simply dying to eat whatever we're eating. Her giant blue eyes reflect her utter presence...she has been an incredibly alert, aware baby right from the beginning. Her smiles came early and haven't stopped. She's a loudmouth, jabbering away at whomever will listen. And wow, does she love her mama. When I'm not holding her, she is watching my every move. When someone else holds her, she utters the greatest sigh of joy when she is returned to my arms. It is *just* the way things should be.

Sofia and Nico couldn't possibly love her more. Yesterday we were having a raucous session of throwing the kids onto our big bed and wrestling around. Sof and Nico could've continued this indefinitely, but Ava got sick of her swing and needed to be held. The second I brought Ava to the bed and laid her down, the other two immediately calmed down, snuggled in next to her and kissed and loved on her. Ava has that effect on them anytime she enters the scene, and it's not unusual for either of them to get mad because they haven't touched Ava yet.

This giant love in our house balances the crazy. Sofia is growing up, slowly entering the world of schedules and responsibilities. She has kindergarten, dance class (hip hop!), playdates, homework, piano practice, and chores. She is growing up beautifully and gracefully. We attended our first ever parent-teacher conference yesterday, and couldn't have come away any prouder. Sofia earned a perfect report card (all S+...her teacher said she actually earned all Es for Excellent, but she wanted her to have room to go up). Her teacher described her kindness to every one of her peers, her eagerness to learn, her adaptability, etc. For me, the biggest indication that Sof is thriving is her excitement to go to school every morning, and her excitement to come home. She has it great in both worlds, and the world is her oyster. Her latest ambition is this: to be an "ambulance girl," an artist, and a mommy. Oh, she also wants to work in a zoo and be the person who gives shots to the giraffes (we recently saw a show that documented zoo workers, thus explaining that little gem).

Nico is still our fireball, and challenges me as a mother on a daily basis. As great as the challenges are that he throws at me, the rewards are equally great. Nico is strong, determined, curious, fiercely independent, and fiercely loving. Every day he adds to the list of things that only Nico could do. Here are a few: painted his eyes with Sofia's (thankfully) washable nail polish, carted in ash from the Weber grill and placed it in neat piles across the couch, opened the heating vent and filled the duct with toys and replaced the vent cover, flushed immeasurable amounts of toilet paper (and other items) down the toilet, dumped a full bottle of shampoo onto the carpet, put a quarter in the CD player in my car, mopped the countertops...these are just of few of hundreds of things this kid comes up with. But don't let him fool you, he's as smart as a whip. He knows pretty much all of the words to a number of books, and he's demonstrating a real musical ability. He's got fantastic rhythm and coordination. One of my favorite things to do with Nico is hike with him. He is a fearless and tireless leader, and the woods are his zone. He calls the shots, and he is clearly comfortable in that role. My mom always says "that kid will take you places." Well, he has, he does, and he will!

No comments: